Sunday, December 28, 2014

Re-reading the Hobbit

19 chapters. 19 days. 1 re-read-through of The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien.

Last week, I went to see The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies in theaters with my best friend. After the sadness, weeping, and general feels of the whole experience, a sudden realization hit me - no more Hobbit movies. No more collective waiting for trailers, no more Tolkien characters, no more journeys to Middle Earth. It felt - wrong. Sure, I can always watch the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit movies again, and I definitely will, but still, no more new things to anticipate. As I walked out of that movie theater, I felt like I had just left Middle Earth - and left my heart there.

So, what could I do to keep the excitement of Middle Earth alive? Why not, after all this hype over the movie saga, go back to the roots of The Hobbit? After all, The Hobbit was what started everything. After watching the movies (no matter how much I adored them), did I lose sight of a little of what made the original book so special?

And so I decided to re-read the Hobbit, a chapter a day, and then talk about it with you guys. Each day, I'll read a chapter. Each day, I'll blog about that chapter, talking about the plot, the characters, the way it differed from the movies, and just random little things that maybe I forgot about.

The countdown starts today.

No comments:

Post a Comment